Thursday, May 29, 2008

Benny Rothman and the Rambling Song

Benny Rothman was the original Trespasser. On April 24, 1932 he led a "mass trespass" to open up some private lands to "Ramblers" in the United Kingdom. Benny was an old Commie. There is a popular song about Benny. Youtube has two excellent videos and links, with two different versions of the songs.

The first Youtube video is about Benny in 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NnYzwNslPA

This Youtube video has the last verse of the song, which is omitted from the prior one. I like this last verse: "So I'll walk where I will..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3_9PIuDYpc

Quite a lovely song. "I'm a Rambler..." Or as a friend of mine wrote to me about the former video:

"That is just fun. I always feel at home with old commies!"

I concur Brad!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BENNY ROTHMAN
80th Anniversary Kinder Scout
Mass Trespass April 2012

MNVDISCS, are releasing a dvd and
an audio cd, of a filmed interview
with the late Benny Rothman, Tona
Gillet is also featured.

This filmed onterview produced by Will Scally, has never been broadcast.

if you require any further information, please do not hesitate
in contacting me.

Regards,

Barry Levene.

3sixtypr@gmx.com